The 2011 Reunion - SSTC '97

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Party planning across the miles...

save a life today!

omarmejia

save a life today! Empty save a life today!

Post  omarmejia Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:52 pm

Dear Tito/Tita/friend,

I have been training in the UP - Philippine General Hospital for over 7 years, and I am entering my final year of residency at the Department of Medicine. Through the years, I have witnessed numerous occasions where human spirit triumphed over illnesses that cannot be medically cured. Sadly enough, however, I have seen more cases where financial deprivation overshadows the human spirit to live. Because of this, I’m earnestly seeking your help.

We see patients from all over the Philippines. More than 10,000 patients are admitted in our charity wards annually. Around 95% of them cannot afford to be sick; they either earn lower than minimum wage or have no source of income whatsoever.

A lot of them don’t make it through their trials. It’s sad, as we lose patients simply because they cannot afford the proper antibiotics or procedures. Among the most common causes of death are treatable diseases like pneumonia, or preventable complications of diseases such as those of diabetes. Patients could be easily saved, and brought back to becoming productive members of the society, if only they had some extra money for healthcare.

Because of this persistent and pressing need, the Sagip Buhay Medical Foundation was founded in 1995. It is a SEC-recognized organization of doctors who raise funds to assist the indigent patients admitted at our Medical Charity Wards and ICU.

Sagip Buhay literally saves lives by providing immediate financial aid for emergency medications and essential lab exams, artificial respirators, and even emergency hemodialysis -- all this without red tape -- doctors-in-charge secure funding in less than an hour and patients do not line up for anything. In 2008 alone, Sagip was able to assist over 1,000 patients.

It is our ultimate goal to never lose a patient just because he/she is unfortunate enough to be born poor. It is by your help that we hope to achieve this. As little as Php1,000 can buy a 3-day course of antibiotic, or a month’s worth of Insulin, and save a life! Our patients include heads of families, mothers, and breadwinners. By helping them get well, you also enable them to return to the families and children that need them.

I have always viewed my experience with patients as both a blessing (we learn immensely from them), and at the same time, a battle that I and my co-residents cannot win by ourselves. As melodramatic as it may sound, there is probably no other time in my life that I am helping human beings more.

I appeal to you to contribute to this worthy cause. Celebrate life by giving life to others. Please help us help them.

Sincerely,

Omar John B. Mejia, MD
    Assistant Chief Resident for Post-Graduate Training Services
    Department of Medicine, UP-PGH
    0921-3427286
    drojm2006@yahoo.com

P.S.
    The Sagip Buhay Golf Classic is the annual charity tournament held to replenish the Foundation’s funds. Lives depend on its earnings. On its eleventh year, it will be held on April 22, 2009, at the recently renovated Villamor Golf Club.
    We will highly appreciate help of any kind.

Sagip Buhay Medical Foundation Inc.
    Metrobank UN Ave. branch*
    Account no. 044-3044-66181-1
    *for direct deposits, kindly fax deposit slip (as well as your contact details) to telefax 526-4372)

God be with you!

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 11:44 am